One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of water or soil) brackish or alkaline.
slightly salty, slightly briny, saline, salt, saltedView synonyms
- ‘Water should be acidic or neutral in pH, not alkaline (except for lime-loving species), although salty (brak) water is tolerated.’
- ‘These numbered thousands of plants, which grew on the edges of the sands, where it overlay a brak, clay soil (white with salt in summer) of Klipheuwel formation.’
- ‘I have a small tank which I use for drinking, cooking and washing my car because our borehole water is brak.’
- ‘This was followed by a layer of thin, hard baked clay bricks on top of which was packed a thick layer of brak, a local soil with an exceptionally high salt content.’
- ‘We specialise in desalination and brak water to potable water systems.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.