One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Injury to the brain that impairs its functions, especially permanently.
- ‘Some of the children who scored maximum points for normal cranial ultrasound findings had severe brain damage.’
- ‘Miraculously, he made an excellent recovery with no evidence of heart failure or brain damage.’
- ‘Drugs are given to control this and reduce the chance of brain damage.’
- ‘If this happens in your brain, it can cause permanent brain damage.’
- ‘This could be due to the loss of cortical influence in patients with brain damage.’
- ‘Depending on the cause, some people can have a good recovery from brain damage.’
- ‘On the other hand, severe brain damage can occur without the patient ever being in coma, for example after a severe stroke.’
- ‘I had a friend whose little girl was born with severe brain damage and suffers from Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy.’
- ‘He was said to be confined to a wheelchair, barely able to speak, and suffering from brain damage.’
- ‘The former strong man was also found suffering from permanent brain damage.’
- ‘It is feared he has suffered permanent brain damage from his injuries.’
- ‘If prolonged, this can cause brain damage, because the oxygen supply to these tissues has been disrupted.’
- ‘Because it has to be treated very quickly so that you don't get any permanent brain damage as a result.’
- ‘This can lead to convulsions, seizures and permanent brain damage in some.’
- ‘I also had suspected brain damage and a spine injury, so I had lots of different scans.’
- ‘His condition today was described as critical and it is still not known if he suffered brain damage or a spinal injury in the attack.’
- ‘Georgiev was immediately admitted to hospital with brain damage and skull fracture.’
- ‘In cases where the victim did not have oxygen for a long period of time, there may be brain damage.’
- ‘Patients with a primary diagnosis of substance misuse or organic brain damage were excluded.’
- ‘A knock or blow to the head, such as in a road traffic accident, can cause brain damage at the time of injury.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.