Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A moment in which one fails to think clearly or act sensibly.‘he had a brain cramp early in the game and really botched the ball’
- ‘Swinging mightily but coming up nearly empty, Sierra topped a ball which sputtered down the third base line, when Rivera was hit with yet another brain cramp.’
- ‘If you shut down or have a brain cramp, the night is over.’
- ‘Ford is more introverted, a math and computer whiz (he scored 1,400 on his SAT test) whose occasional brain cramps have given his manager and teammates plenty of amusement and ammunition.’
- ‘The story's entire foundation is based upon a plot hole so gargantuan that anyone not suffering a brain cramp will identify it at once.’
- ‘Although The Recruit isn't Len Deighton or Robert Ludlum, it is enjoyable until the screenwriters develop a collective brain cramp.’
- ‘On Sundays, Wannstedt has had too many brain cramps, too many instances of not firing up his team, too many instances of just not providing the leadership his team desperately needed.’
- ‘Aside from those genuine brain cramps, instances of overcoaching are usually far more subtle and difficult to pick up.’
- ‘Between his opinion piece and his blatantly ignorant answer to the Campus Question, I hope for his sake that he was suffering from a brain cramp last week and we can expect better things from him in the future.’
- ‘That brain cramp enabled Taveras, who had tripled, to score the Astros' fourth straight run in the sixth.’
- ‘The movie turns into a mindless gorefest, the genius character suddenly suffers a cataclysmic brain cramp, and the action begins to resemble Alien light (complete with motion detectors and a scary predator).’
- ‘Every 12-15 games he's shows signs of brilliance for about a five-minute stretch, but then reverts back to his familiar brain cramp I-don't-have-a-clue-where-I'm-supposed-to-be style of play.’
- ‘The G.M.s polled for baseball's top 50 must be guys who are about to lose their jobs, or they must have all suffered a brain cramp at the same time.’
- ‘In the end, though, Owens' heroics were greatly overshadowed by the Eagles' offensive brain cramp down the stretch, a common malady, it should be noted, that afflicted more than a few teams in this year's playoffs.’
- ‘With two out in the bottom of the 12th, Chavez caught righthander Derek Lowe in a brain cramp and stole third without drawing a throw.’
- ‘Maybe Meier was suffering from a brain cramp that day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.