Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘And perhaps we should add that unlike most kids, and some adults who've over the years created an impenetrable mental block, he loves the thrill of figuring out mathematical equations, calculations and brain-teasing formulas.’
- ‘Suppressing my sudden urge to mimic the Swedish chef, I plunged on with my brain-twisting question.’
- ‘Both are put to the test here even more formidably than in the previous books, as a plot of nerve-tingling suspense and brain-teasing deviousness ramifies.’
- ‘His deadpan delivery and brain-twisting concepts have made him one of the most recognizable comedians in the business.’
- ‘The pitching together of teams from all four divisions on FA Cup third round day brings with it the brain-teasing task of explaining which division each team plays in.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.