Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for brahmaputra
- ‘The only Asiatic breed of significance today, the Brahma, which originated in India, has three varieties.’
- ‘Brahmas arrived in the UK around 1840-1850.’
- ‘Brahmas are gentle giants with feathered legs and feet.’
1The creator god in Hinduism, who forms a triad with Vishnu and Shiva. Brahma was an important god of late Vedic religion, but has been little worshipped since the 5th century AD.
2another term for Brahman (sense 2)
- ‘Though the Brahma and Shiva principles are still in existence, we will explore this in just a moment.’
- ‘"It is not enough," concludes Schuon, "to know that Brahma is Reality, the world is appearance.’
From Sanskrit brahman.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.