Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A temporary position of ascendancy in a closely contested rivalry.‘he walked off with a guaranteed $25,000 and bragging rights for at least a year’
- ‘Each team of four women will earn points toward bragging rights of being named the championship team, plus championship buckles and other awards from sponsors.’
- ‘Boston brandished its bragging rights as it won its fourth title in five years, defeating the New York 1 team to take the Cup.’
- ‘The math is simple - the team with the most total reps gets the victory and bragging rights for the year.’
- ‘Defeating Dallas in the Texans' first game as an expansion team earned statewide bragging rights but barely caused a ripple around the NFL.’
- ‘Warren Sapp, Oakland's loquacious defensive tackle, said this game was for bragging rights against the team that chose not to re-sign him this year after nine seasons in Tampa.’
- ‘To cricket now, and a draw in the fifth cricket test in London overnight was enough to give England a two-one series win over Australia and bragging rights over one of sport's oldest contests.’
- ‘Last week's winner of the bragging rights can again brag for anther week as he blasted his way past the field with 40 points.’
- ‘There's a little trophy presented to the winning chapter as well as all-important bragging rights for the year.’
- ‘It doesn't matter where the two teams are in the table, it's about bragging rights of being the best team in the area.’
- ‘While Spain have little more to play for today than pride, bragging rights and the chance for squad members to give coach Luis Aragonés a nudge, it's worth remembering that Fábregas is on a booking.’
- ‘For only the second time since their promotion back to the top-flight in 1999, Hibs have the opportunity to claim local bragging rights by ending the league campaign ahead of their capital-city rivals.’
- ‘AFC Wimbledon earned local bragging rights when they hammered rivals Raynes Park Vale 5-on Easter Monday.’
- ‘These two teams duke it out Tuesday for bragging rights.’
- ‘The Ryder Cup has been pumped up to mean more than it really does, besides an exhibition for pride and bragging rights.’
- ‘‘Manchester are the closest team to us so this victory gives us bragging rights, but really it was just another game on the way to us winning three matches in a row this season’ said Phoenix.’
- ‘Okay, the red shirt masses could celebrate immediate success - and the all-important bragging rights over their near neighbours and rivals - after the Giant Axe fourth round set to.’
- ‘The tournament is based on a round-robin model that allows four teams from the Hawkeye State to spar with four MIAC rivals for regional bragging rights.’
- ‘This weekend United play host to City in this season's first derby match, with fans from both teams hoping they will have the bragging rights on Saturday night.’
- ‘Another series worth looking into is the JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge, where company-sponsored teams compete against each other for bragging rights.’
- ‘But, more than an autograph or a few moments of his time, he knows the fans crave a return to the form which secured them back-to-back third places, UEFA Cup nights and bragging rights over their city rivals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.