Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Boastful or arrogant.‘it sounds braggadocious, but I don't think I ever dropped a pass in a game’‘I've never been a braggadocious kind of guy’
bragging, crowing, swaggering, braggart, overweening, overbearing, bumptious, puffed up, vaunting, blowhard, ostentatious, full of oneselfView synonyms
- ‘I don't want to seem braggadocious, but people keep telling me it's the most famous house in the country, after the White House.’
- ‘Actually, being a rapper might just be a strong plus in portraying the early, braggadocious Cassius Clay.’
- ‘Elizabeth is really not a braggadocious person.’
- ‘I'm not being braggadocious about this, but I play well.’
- ‘After one season with the New England Patriots, Johnson has decided to go back to his old, braggadocious self.’
- ‘It may have been braggadocious, but it wasn't untrue.’
- ‘This is an album of braggadocious hip-hop, full-bodied with confrontational street style.’
- ‘Even though he seems to be a little braggadocious about being an Americorps volunteer, he seems to be a decent guy.’
- ‘At least one tweet was pretty braggadocious; it casually mentioned "my third sailboat" with an accompanying photo.’
- ‘Lyrically it doesn't go beyond braggadocious bluster and more local-musician name-drops.’
- ‘Unusually character-driven for a genre that typically deals in braggadocious montages of big barrel riding, this polished Australian production is buoyed along by the outsized personalities of a pair of pushing-50 best mates.’
Mid 19th century: from braggadocio + -ous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.