One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
Increased tax liability that results from a rise in income or incomes.‘inflation may just lower our real wages, rather than contributing to bracket creep’
- ‘If "bracket creep" has made things bad at the higher end, its impact on the basic rate of tax has been devastating.’
- ‘All they've got is the extra $9,000 they've been paying through in federal taxes as a result of bracket creep and tax hikes in the past.’
- ‘I looked at bracket creep which is effectively the force of higher wages pushing people into higher tax payment areas, into higher brackets of tax payment.’
- ‘The measure was introduced to reduce the frequency of bracket creep.’
- ‘He has all but ruled out Labor tackling the bracket creep problem by indexing the tax thresholds.’
- ‘How much bracket creep is the Government gathering this year?’
- ‘These figures ignored the amount collected through bracket creep in the first years of the Howard Government.’
- ‘To fix real bracket creep permanently, tax brackets should be adjusted for real income gains, or tax rates should be cut slightly each year.’
- ‘Bracket creep has seen 12% of New Zealanders now paying tax in the top bracket.’
- ‘The average New Zealand worker has had the second-biggest increase in income tax in the OECD, largely because of the bracket creep issue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.