Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a relatively broad, short skull (typically with the breadth at least 80 per cent of the length).Often contrasted with dolichocephalic
- ‘You also use much scientific language in your poetry: anthracite, barium, beryl, bituminous, brachycephalic.’
- ‘Thylacoleo are highly specialized brachycephalic predators with greatly hypotrophied molar rows and hypertrophied sectorial third premolars.’
- ‘In sthenurines the basioccipital plane is above the palatal plane, more markedly so in the brachycephalic species.’
- ‘The French bulldog is brachycephalic; its muzzle has been severely shortened, giving the impression of a flattened face.’
- ‘However, we have fossil records that tell us the brachycephalic (short-skulled, short-nosed, flat-faced) dog breeds, which include the Shih Tzu, Pug, and Pekingese originated in Central Asia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.