Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A phylum of marine invertebrates that comprises the lamp shells.
- ‘As these animals are quite distinct from other members of the phylum Brachiopoda they were given their own superfamily Cranioidea.’
- ‘However, the end-Guadalupian regression eliminated most of the shelf areas, and this could have been the direct cause of the almost total extinction of Brachiopoda in the Late Permian in the Boreal Realm.’
- ‘Many recent textbooks unite Ectoprocta, Phoronida and Brachiopoda under the name Lophophorata, a name introduced by Hyman, apparently because she did not like the much older name Tentaculata.’
- ‘Several recent evolution trees show the Phoronida and Brachiopoda as closely interrelated, with the Brachiopoda possibly a paraphyletic group.’
- ‘The radiation of the Mollusca, Annelida, and Brachiopoda might also have occurred over a short period.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek brakhiōn arm + pous, pod- foot.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.