Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An undergarment worn by women to support the breasts.
- ‘Two-thirds of the fitters recommended bras with the wrong underwire shape, according to the report.’
- ‘I had shoes and dresses and they were beautiful, now all I needed was underwear, bras and socks and I would be happy.’
- ‘Of course, the other major component of any woman's lingerie collection is her bras.’
- ‘I look at my clock, standing in my bra and underwear while ironing my shirt of choice.’
- ‘For a long time, women have worn traditional bras that are supported by shoulder and back straps.’
- ‘The figures in Bathers sport various combinations of underpants, undershirts and bras.’
- ‘They have built-in support bras that come in a range of adjustable sizes.’
- ‘Women were burning bras because they were a symbol of oppression which is in contrast to your view as bras as support.’
- ‘She doesn't just sell her underwear, though: slips, bras, body stockings, and socks are all hot sellers.’
- ‘Still, there's no way to put a good spin on the situation in the lingerie department, where most of the cutest bras are B cup and bigger.’
- ‘Underwear makers promote support bras made without an underwire, as even a small bit of metal can trigger a sensitive alarm.’
- ‘Those who stay there wear maroon robes with no bras or underwear.’
- ‘For underwear, especially sports bras, visit Debenhams or Jenners; both have a good selection in stock.’
- ‘Keep in mind, though, that with or without underwires, bras with no straps will not be as supportive.’
- ‘One of my bras lost an underwire in the washing machine a few months back.’
- ‘Lovable made bras and lingerie, supplying retailers that also included Sears and Victoria's Secret.’
- ‘If underwire bras are run though a washing machine, their wires will poke out for sure.’
- ‘Hanging bras on a hook in your closet prevents the underwire from getting twisted and pulled, as it would in a dresser drawer.’
- ‘To avoid severe chaffing, endurance athletes should look for bras that are seamless.’
- ‘I say, for both maternity and nursing, wear regular underwire bras in the closest size to what you should be wearing that you can find.’
- 1.1North American A carbon-based cover that fits over the front bumper of a car.
- ‘Make sure that the car bra you purchase is for the specific make and model of your vehicle.’
- ‘It comes from the same place that gave the world pet psychiatrists, pet rocks and car bras.’
1930s: abbreviation of brassiere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.