One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exceptionally talented young man or boy.
- ‘Perhaps more interested in feeding his mind, the boy wonder was skipping lunch, so I had his roast chicken sandwich with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.’
- ‘Strangers approach the boy wonder and want to shake his hand, or simply say in their forthright Manhattan way, ‘Congratulations, Chris!’’
- ‘His company has since grown a lot bigger, but the boy wonder of discount computers has stuck to the same basic model: keep costs down, sell PCs cheap and go straight to the consumer.’
- ‘Tickets at £20-a-head sold out within four-hours for his Barbican gigs, and expectant faces met the Bolton boy wonder as he bounded on stage last night.’
- ‘By 19, he had quit and started his career as a boy wonder in the advertising world.’
- ‘Obsessed with inventing television, the boy wonder vied with Baird and the Russian national Vladimir Zworykin for the title of the medium's true father.’
- ‘But the fast-moving career of the boy wonder is picking up pace again.’
- ‘Because I was seven years old and just beginning to be a baseball fan when Feller came to the big leagues as a boy wonder of 17.’
- ‘But I think I will put a tenner on the boy wonder to score first on Sunday.’
- ‘Before he was twenty-one, Charles Spurgeon was being called ‘the boy wonder of England.’’
- ‘He was a boy wonder who shot a 300 at 18 and an ageless wonder who rolled a 300 at 86 and, at 92, rolled in his 71st ABC championship.’
- ‘Paolini's back story, as the home-schooled boy wonder who makes it big, had an irresistible cachet.’
- ‘The boy wonder of the 90s, he is set to chalk up his 600th career appearance if he starts against Liverpool.’
- ‘For the American boy wonder, it was vindication - proof that the kid from Baltimore could live up to his billing.’
- ‘A sizable cult swiftly formed around the Montreal-bred boy wonder when it was released.’
- ‘We must all hope that the sensible occurs and the boy wonder calms down.’
- ‘Bloomsbury has no rights to the new film, which is set for release in the autumn, but it expects it to generate a resurgence of interest in the boy wonder.’
- ‘Then on to NASCAR, where at 23, the boy wonder becomes the youngest team owner in major-league sports.’
- ‘Even before starting his postgraduate year, he had achieved considerable success, and he was soon being hailed as the boy wonder of Scottish painting.’
- ‘I think some critics see me as this boy wonder and they love to shoot people down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.