Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young woman considered sexually attractive to men.
- ‘Why shouldn't you go out with other guys sometimes, now that your little boy toy's gone for a whole year?’
- ‘Some feminists allege that the treatment of sex in these magazines objectifies females, preparing their young readers for wasted lives as passive boy toys.’
- ‘Devin went off to London with his boy toy.’
- ‘‘My emphasis, my priority, is my family, absolutely, 100 percent,’ the former boy toy told Larry King.’
- ‘Think of it as if VH1 did a Behind the Blog episode - it would be just like Behind the Music without the groupies, bimbos, boy toys, massive drug use, fisticuffs, arrests, and downward arc to the narrative.’
- ‘We have laughs and I meet his friends and latest boy toys.’
- ‘So off to the after party I went, and drink I did - shoulder-to-shoulder with Alan and his boy toy.’
1980s: inversion of toy boy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.