Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Women's knickers or bikini bottoms that have a low waistline and are cut straight across the upper thigh:‘a halter top and matching boy shorts’
- ‘The lovely line of boy shorts, thongs, bra-top camisoles, slips, drawstring pants, and tees will have you delightfully perplexed as to how and where to wear them.’
- ‘I've spent the past hour rummaging through the racks of bras, and scads of boy shorts; I need a new set of underwear.’
- ‘Fashion experts believe the thong is being rejected because women are looking for more comfortable and less revealing alternatives, such as cut-off "boy shorts".’
- ‘Plus, there's something to flatter every body: bra-and-thong sets, camisoles with matching boy shorts, and sexy slip dresses and robes.’
- ‘Boy shorts and vest are cute if the wearer has the body of a hungry child, but they are best left alone by ordinary mortals.’
- ‘Boy shorts are definitely made to augment your "assets" and can be a great fashion statement.’
- ‘The girl pulls herself up out of the pool by the curving metal ladder, stands for a moment, dripping, and then climbs over the chain link fence in her soaked boy shorts and silk camisole.’
- ‘Those clothes just so happened to be boy shorts and a tank top.’
- ‘Forgetting that she was in only boy shorts and a tank top, Ally darted down the hall.’
- ‘I actually had to drop trou so it was a good thing that I'd thought ahead and had worn sensible unmentionables; very cute boy shorts, just so you know.’
- ‘Choose boy shorts or a skirted swim bottom.’
- ‘The lines are designed for all body types (and all degrees of modesty) and come in an array of pretty colors (pink, mint, black, and white) and styles (no-wire bralets, saucy push-ups, lacy boy shorts, bikinis, and pants).’
- ‘Did you know, for example, that g-strings are out, and "boy shorts" are in?’
- ‘To avoid having to wear thongs every day all day, Arianna wore her normal boy shorts to school and brought a black thong to change into for practice.’
- ‘For peace of mind, try sporty styles, like tank-cut tops with boy shorts.’
- ‘Gone are the days of throwing on a T-shirt with casual pyjama pants or boy shorts after work.’
- ‘Girls will be enticed by the sweet-as-sugar-candy bras, camis, hipster boy shorts and strings, and sassy sleepwear mix and match in peppermint, lilac, hot raspberry and pink.’
- ‘From tankinis to sport bras and boy shorts, a number of clothing companies are making stylish swimsuits that are functional enough for any workout, in or out of the water.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.