Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pop group composed of attractive young men, whose music and image are designed to appeal primarily to a young teenage audience.
- ‘Deep down though, they're still a boy band, so they still have the obligatory guitar track.’
- ‘One thing they're all insistent on is they're not splitting up, even though three albums and a Best Of is the archetypal lifespan for a boy band.’
- ‘This album is far from the stereotypical boy band image they're successfully shedding.’
- ‘Blake was a fan of the Beach Boys, the Californian boy band that made waves with their surfer anthem Good Vibrations.’
- ‘Not only was he a member of Boyzone, the Irish mega-boy band, but he was also responsible for putting together Westlife, another Irish boy band.’
- ‘What they want are nice tunes, sung by a nice lad with boy band looks who actually has some musical talent.’
- ‘In the world of boy bands, Blue have certainly lasted on the shelf longer than most.’
- ‘They appeal to the baggy jean-wearing crowds, but maintain their youthful boy band personas.’
- ‘Luke Bainbridge spends a month with the biggest boy band on the planet.’
- ‘That's why it felt so dismaying when a major-label boy band was able to mobilise a highly organised fanbase to top the inaugural chart.’
- ‘And without a doubt, the dirty basslines on tracks like 'Steam' paved the way for late 90s boy band 5ive.’
- ‘As a member of the hugely popular US boy band N*SYNC and beau of one Miss Britney Spears, it has been difficult to avoid Justin Timberlake.’
- ‘Mark was in a boy band but was kicked out when they found out that he could play an instrument.’
- ‘Today, having churned out boy band after girl band after boy band to little avail, they needed something fresh to sell to the kids.’
- ‘He may seem to have a voice fit for a boy band but don't be critical without listening to at least a few tracks of this album.’
- ‘Most of her recent work has been with British boy band Blue, and she's now their assistant choreographer.’
- ‘The trouble with being in a boy band is that it's not great training for being Bob Dylan.’
- ‘To make it simple, this Christian rock band sounds like any other boy band in the music world.’
- ‘While her friends might have had boy band posters on their walls, she was more likely to have posters of actors or from musicals.’
- ‘A lot of people consider this group, given their fashion sense and hair design, to be a boy band.’
- ‘There is somewhere a boy band called LFO, apparently standing for Lyte Funky Ones.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.