One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of bread made using grated raw potatoes and flour, originally in Ireland.
- ‘A number of visitors to last year's seisiún have asked about a revival and presentation of older traditions like butter and boxty making.’
- ‘She would make treacle cakes, currant cakes and, of course, she'd make white soda cakes, potato cakes and boxty.’
- ‘In addition to the usual range of baked goods and fresh produce, they are now pleased to offer home-made potato cakes and boxty every Friday.’
- ‘On hand to perform the opening was Seamus O'Connell, who, in front of over 100 guests, prepared several culinary seafood delicacies that ranged from blackened halibut to boxty with smoked salmon.’
- ‘Marjorie Nolan, a local cook, shows Helen how to make boxty and recommends a cough mixture made from the local Carrageen moss.’
- ‘Families were closely knit units at the time and grandmothers helped to make the boxty and potato cakes which were covered with freshly churned butter and eaten heartily and all washed down with draughts of hot strong tea.’
- ‘The Fair of Curry next Monday, August 1, sees many events taking place which includes duck-racing, dog show, display of arts and crafts, boxty and butter-making with the crowning of the goat of the fair as the high light.’
- ‘Oiche Feile Bhride was a night where housewives took pride in their generous spread of butter, champ, boxty and colcannon.’
- ‘Yet Ann kept up the old tradition of churning butter, serving up boxty, potato cakes, crubeens and many other Irish treats.’
- ‘Teeling Street was allotted to arts and crafts displays and butter and boxty makers and the tinsmith.’
- ‘Exhibitions of coppercraft, horse-shoe making and ironwork, butter making, lacemaking and the making of traditional boxty can be enjoyed.’
- ‘I had a little primus stove in my kit and the makings of a right fry-up… rashers, sausages, Kelly's black pudding, Martina's home-made boxty and, believe it or not, two large free-range eggs.’
- ‘There will also be the usual crafts such as bee keeping, butter making, needle work, vintage cars, tractors, traditional boxty and colcannon plus much more.’
- ‘The boxty was a novelty food for our French friends and they all expressed satisfaction with its texture and flavour.’
- ‘Or boxty pancakes, made from a batter of mashed cooked potatoes mixed with grated raw potatoes, flour, bicarbonate of soda and buttermilk, fried until crisp and eaten with crisp rashers of bacon or pure Irish honey.’
From Irish bacstaí.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.