One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavily padded mitten worn in boxing.
- ‘We must remove the boxing gloves and put on the kid gloves.’
- ‘Returning home, Matt slumps and stumbles, briefly touching his dad's boxing gloves (hanging on the wall as memento and talisman) as he enters his dim hallway.’
- ‘But suddenly the yokel, rolling about in the gale of boxing gloves, struck one blow and knocked science, speed and footwork as cold as a well-digger's posterior.’
- ‘He was tall and muscular, wearing only a pair of pants and boxing gloves… he definitely didn't look like a heavyweight, but who was Forte to judge?’
- ‘But her style is more knowing; in order to show their differences, she emphasises their various abilities with human props - boxing gloves, climbing equipment, a hairdressing salon.’
- ‘One mother complained that her nine-year-old actually was made ill by fighting or unpleasantness and wondered whether she should give him boxing gloves as a way to build up his self-confidence.’
- ‘Who do you think the jury is going to believe put the pastry chef in the hospital - the 100 lb supermodel or the 600 lb gorilla wearing boxing gloves?’
- ‘In a small town in the north-east of England, Billy, the 11-year-old son of a coal miner goes to boxing lessons, clutching 50 pence and a pair of battered boxing gloves.’
- ‘The dojo had punching bags, boxing gloves, a fountain that was in the corner of the room, which I presumed was for meditation.’
- ‘They stock every conceivable type of ball, as well as darts, boxing gloves, punchbags, headguards, snooker cues, goggles, running spikes and karate suits.’
- ‘To try to revive it, he has proposed that roosters wear little boxing gloves attached to their spurs, as well as lightweight, chicken-sized vests configured with electronic sensors to record hits and help keep score.’
- ‘But when we're done, we'll put the driver in the closet along with our collection of corked baseball bats, helium-filled footballs and boxing gloves with horseshoes inside.’
- ‘‘If I knew you were gonna get into fights at school I would've bought you boxing gloves instead of that Barbie doll,’ my father shook his head.’
- ‘You can dust off your boxing gloves and prepare to fight for your rights or, you can stay silent and redecorate your closet because this is the lonely, miserable space you may inhabit in the near future.’
- ‘‘Those go underneath the boxing gloves,’ Jeremy said beside her.’
- ‘The 18-year-old Bolton boxer replaced his boxing gloves for running shoes to help his friend raise much needed cash for the victims of the Asian tsunami.’
- ‘‘When I joined the club, I wasn't just the youngest girl, I was the only girl,’ said Charlotte, who has her own special pair of pink boxing gloves.’
- ‘And given the high number of heavily manicured nails hidden under boxing gloves here, it seems unlikely this lot will be trading in their femininity just yet.’
- ‘The instructor turned the music off and made some comment about seeing them the following day, and he watched as Miel took her boxing gloves off, wiped the sweat off her face with her towel and drank her water.’
- ‘This allows the boxer to throw more punches to the head and body of his opponent than mixed martial artists, as mixed martial arts gloves do not protect the wearer's hands as much as boxing gloves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.