Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or practice of fighting with the fists, especially with padded gloves in a roped square ring according to prescribed rules (the Queensberry Rules).
pugilism, fighting, sparring, fisticuffskick-boxing, thai boxing, prizefighting, bare-knuckle boxing, bare-knuckle fightingthe ring, the prize ringthe noble art/science, the noble art of self defence, the noble science of self defenceView synonyms
- ‘Only boxing asks an athlete to be supremely fit while playing offense and defense simultaneously with life at stake.’
- ‘Though boxing is a male-dominated sport, she says she has never had to check her femininity at the door.’
- ‘He has covered ice hockey, golf, boxing and football.’
- ‘John was a coach far beyond his years and handed down his boxing and soccer knowledge to thousands of kids.’
- ‘The - final score would have baffled Einstein - and had the game been a boxing match the referee would have stopped it long before time was up.’
- ‘I was hoping for a fight and a boxing match broke out, to paraphrase an old joke.’
- ‘He's kind of figured out what he wants from life and I think he's enjoying his boxing now.’
- ‘He's a veteran and he knows his boxing and I think you're going to see a lot of my jabs in this fight.’
- ‘Great Harwood took a different angle and staged a boxing, wrestling and weight-lifting contest on the cricket field.’
- ‘Whether it be football, rugby, tennis or boxing, Dermot will accompany each star to the game of their choice and talk to them about their love of the game.’
- ‘The heavyweight boxing championship in cricket has been underway for a week or so now.’
- ‘As for what goes on in the ring, the actual boxing can be a lot of fun.’
- ‘He began to get his boxing together and his confidence was ebbing back.’
- ‘It is not without reason that the formal rules of boxing, judo, fencing and even dueling require that the combatants salute each other before the engagement.’
- ‘Through practising the boxing, people can build up their body and improve the physical defence against disease.’
- ‘But the 21-stone martial arts expert, who owns a boxing and training gymnasium, said he was now happy to draw a line under the past.’
- ‘Most of the fighters had a little boxing or martial arts experience but some were just raw street fighters.’
- ‘His company's bid was to turn the Dome into an arena for rock concerts and sports including boxing, tennis and athletics.’
- ‘There is also significant interest being shown in exchanges with the boxing and volleyball teams.’
- ‘Despite its recent forced move into the world of the ridiculous, the boxing and wrestling commission has long roots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.