Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a set of vertical springs housed in a frame in a mattress or upholstered chair base.
- ‘I feel very good about buying from them since they are a local company who build the mattress and box springs themselves.’
- ‘She had just found a New Testament hidden between her daughter's mattress and box spring.’
- ‘Carrying that box spring down the stairs again?’
- ‘Instead of fussing over the cost of replacing her box spring every few months, he brought in a futon for her to sleep on.’
- ‘Purchase hypoallergenic covers for the mattress, box spring, and pillows.’
- ‘Authorities were later seen removing a box spring from the couple's apartment.’
- ‘They even offers options not available to box spring or foam mattress owners.’
- ‘Encase your mattress, box springs and pillows in allergy-proof covers.’
- ‘Some of the furniture appears to be in good condition: mattresses in plastic covers and clean box springs.’
- ‘Cover your mattress and box spring with a dust proof cover.’
- ‘If your mattress is too soft, a board between the mattress and box spring will make it firmer.’
- ‘If you or a family member is allergic to dust mites, encase the mattresses, box springs, and pillows in covers that breathe, but are designed to prevent inhaling the mites.’
- ‘Not inexpensive, a queen-size mattress and box spring costs around $3,000.’
- ‘Mattresses and box springs were stacked against the concierge desk and leaning against a jewelry display case as a battalion of maintenance workers carted the beds away.’
- ‘For parents who are still concerned, one suggestion is to remove the box spring and frame from the family bed and put the mattress directly on the floor.’
- ‘Cover mattresses, pillows, and box springs with mite-proof covers (these are available from retailers who specialize in hypoallergenic products).’
- ‘Catherine walked down the basement stairs and jumped onto her bed, which really was a mattress and a box spring.’
- ‘It was a mattress and box spring on a cheap metal frame, a relic of Doug's Harvard days.’
- ‘This morning, it seemed like Christmas, cause out by the dumpster of the apartment complex there was a queen size mattress and box spring in excellent condition.’
- ‘Extra blankets can be stored between the mattress and box spring or stuffed into pillow covers and used decoratively.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.