One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pleat consisting of two parallel creases facing opposite directions and forming a raised band.
- ‘This 75% polynosic / 25% polyester sanded check weave short sleeve shirt has a full button placket, shell buttons, pocket, side slits, and full back yoke with box pleat, locket loop, and button.’
- ‘Every outdoor person recognizes the special need for freedom of motion, so these shirts offer an expansion back with a box pleat that permits motion while the shirt remains tucked in.’
- ‘The centre pleat on each side is a deep inverted box pleat which opens out when something largish is carried inside the bag.’
- ‘She had opted for a suit but decided against it and came to work semi-casual in a box pleat, knee length skirt, black singlet and ruby flats.’
- ‘You would try to iron your gym slip but the box pleats would be beyond you, so you'd iron it straight and it would hang off your shoulders like a navy balloon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.