One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hollow girder square in cross section.
- ‘The steel strut is a fabricated plate box girder weighing 800 lb/ft.’
- ‘For aesthetic reasons, the bascule span uses steel box girders - a first for bascule span bridges.’
- ‘He has been testing a 31-m trapezoidal steel box girder, 2 m deep, that would accommodate seismic displacement.’
- ‘To span this space Peters designed the frame's most innovative element: a 143-foot-long giant steel box girder as the primary support for the first balcony.’
- ‘The arch's 4-ft-wide box girder is 6 ft deep at mid-span and 20 ft deep at the ends.’
- ‘This method made it necessary to place vertical steel pins through the top and bottom slabs of the deck box girder.’
- ‘Seven magnificent reinforced concrete piers, the world's tallest, with heights ranging from 78 to 245 meters will support the 32-meter- wide steel superstructure with its trapezoidal hollow box girders.’
- ‘The column-free space is spanned by main trusses that rest on box girders.’
- ‘Currently about 80% complete, the first 2200 feet of guideway is a cast-in-place trapezoidal concrete box girder.’
- ‘The precast dual box girders weigh 35 tons each, with pier segments up to 60 tons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.