Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An American maple with leaves that resemble those of the elder and green or purplish twigs.
- ‘A quick glance toward the box elder trees told me that it was not yet time to go to the maple grove, but the drip-drip-drip from the eaves of our house kept tugging at my thoughts.’
- ‘The entrance is framed by a forest canopy of hackberry, with flowering dogwood, wild black cherry, and box elder forming a lush secondary layer.’
- ‘In its natural state pin oak is found growing with red maple, green ash, box elder, sweet gum, and elm.’
- ‘The curious often stopped to explore the caves, while others found the fresh spring water and cool shade of the nearby box elder trees a welcome respite from the dusty road.’
- ‘The permanent spring-fed stream supports a tree canopy of box elder, juniper, and sycamore.’
- ‘Floodplain forest is thick with green ash, American elm, sycamore, cottonwood, and silver maple, with box elder near the water's edge.’
- ‘Some species, particularly those that grow naturally along water courses and are subject to periodic siltation such as box elder, willow, and sycamore, will tolerate a moderate amount of fill.’
- ‘American elm, honey locust, and box elder line the small creek, whose waters ultimately flow into the Iowa River.’
- ‘Six species present in uninfected plots, such as clover and box elder, were not found in infected plots.’
- ‘The lush grass; meandering, ‘clear as crystal’ Yellowstone; and the box elder, cottonwood, and pine along its banks and on the hills dazzled him.’
- ‘In waterside habitats in the eastern mountains, box elder and green ash grow with American elm, eastern cottonwood, red-osier dogwood, and Bebb willow.’
- ‘Within our study area, early larval feeding is restricted primarily to box elder.’
- ‘The floodplains contained cottonwood, willow, box elder, and soft maple.’
- ‘Recently, hundreds of volunteers have planted oaks, ashes, box elders, and willows.’
- ‘You can make syrup from silver or red maple, box elder, and even birch trees, but sugar maples are the most effective choice for sweet sap.’
- ‘Brilliant bigtooth maple, velvet ash, and box elder leaves float on mirror-smooth pools and stick to hiking boots.’
- ‘We dropped into it every day from a tire swing roped to a box elder and poled around in it on our rafts and constructed elaborate mud cities on its shores.’
- ‘They had been feeding on a mule deer carcass just across the Virgin River to the west, in a long meadow among the cottonwood, box elder, and ash trees.’
- ‘Among them is box elder, a member of the maple family with compound leaves, and green haw, which has two-inch-long curved spines on some or all of its branches and sometimes even on its trunk.’
- ‘The park is closed to overnight camping, but visitors are welcomed to tour the park and picnic under the box elder trees during daylight hours.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.