One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow canyon with a flat bottom and vertical walls.
- ‘Romance surrounds the idea that incredible wealth lies hidden in rugged peaks, narrow box canyons, or shifting sands of desert dunes.’
- ‘He has us marching down box canyons, firing to hilltop greens and putting beneath balancing rocks.’
- ‘Far as I can tell, it's just a box canyon in the middle of nowhere, with no way in or out.’
- ‘Pete and Rowdy had pushed most of the herd into somewhat of a box canyon not too far away.’
- ‘They have created box canyons and saguaro forests, dry riverbeds and sudden wildflowers, crystal-filled caves and overhanging scarps.’
- ‘As you drive north on State 68 from Santa Fe to Taos, the road climbs up out of a box canyon and enters a sweeping horseshoe curve.’
- ‘Other than worrying about losing everything I own, and possibly getting burned alive in the box canyon that encloses my place, the experience was quite enlightening.’
- ‘‘Pile the dead bodies in the wagon and torch everything,’ Don Diablo malevolently cried, ‘There's a steep cliff leading to a box canyon,’ he continued, ‘It will be a fitting grave for them!’’
- ‘The pilot had taken what he called ‘a scenic route’ and had flown low into a mountain valley, into a box canyon, the better to let passengers see the Rocky Mountains.’
- ‘Sealed off from the rest of the world by sheer mountain passes, Telluride is stuck so far up a narrow box canyon that in winter some parts of town never see the sun.’
- ‘Instead, Spann followed the natural seams between peaks to form his fairways and placed his greens atop escarpments, in box canyons and beneath rocky ridges.’
- ‘Or what about having your two main characters climb the seemingly impossible vertical cliff of a box canyon near the end of the film, fight on a ledge halfway up to no apparent result, and then both climb back down?’
- ‘It is a box canyon with access only from the Sonoma side.’
- ‘The resort nestles in a beautiful box canyon overlooking Cedar Breaks National Monument, a red-rock wonderland stilled by snow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.