One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow canyon with a flat bottom and vertical walls.
- ‘Far as I can tell, it's just a box canyon in the middle of nowhere, with no way in or out.’
- ‘Instead, Spann followed the natural seams between peaks to form his fairways and placed his greens atop escarpments, in box canyons and beneath rocky ridges.’
- ‘The resort nestles in a beautiful box canyon overlooking Cedar Breaks National Monument, a red-rock wonderland stilled by snow.’
- ‘The pilot had taken what he called ‘a scenic route’ and had flown low into a mountain valley, into a box canyon, the better to let passengers see the Rocky Mountains.’
- ‘Pete and Rowdy had pushed most of the herd into somewhat of a box canyon not too far away.’
- ‘He has us marching down box canyons, firing to hilltop greens and putting beneath balancing rocks.’
- ‘Sealed off from the rest of the world by sheer mountain passes, Telluride is stuck so far up a narrow box canyon that in winter some parts of town never see the sun.’
- ‘Or what about having your two main characters climb the seemingly impossible vertical cliff of a box canyon near the end of the film, fight on a ledge halfway up to no apparent result, and then both climb back down?’
- ‘It is a box canyon with access only from the Sonoma side.’
- ‘They have created box canyons and saguaro forests, dry riverbeds and sudden wildflowers, crystal-filled caves and overhanging scarps.’
- ‘‘Pile the dead bodies in the wagon and torch everything,’ Don Diablo malevolently cried, ‘There's a steep cliff leading to a box canyon,’ he continued, ‘It will be a fitting grave for them!’’
- ‘Romance surrounds the idea that incredible wealth lies hidden in rugged peaks, narrow box canyons, or shifting sands of desert dunes.’
- ‘As you drive north on State 68 from Santa Fe to Taos, the road climbs up out of a box canyon and enters a sweeping horseshoe curve.’
- ‘Other than worrying about losing everything I own, and possibly getting burned alive in the box canyon that encloses my place, the experience was quite enlightening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.