One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple box-shaped hand camera.
- ‘To achieve a crispness and detail not possible with a regular 35 mm camera, Bosworth uses an 8x10 box camera.’
- ‘You have Cartier-Bresson's shots on the one end of the spectrum and on the other, Kanu Gandhi's early essays with a box camera, but important as documents.’
- ‘Anandakrishnan also learnt to click pictures with a box camera.’
- ‘In most 19th century cameras, a picture was taken when the photographer manually exposed the film in a large box camera.’
- ‘He wandered around the demolished streets with a box camera and still has twenty of the pictures which he took in the aftermath.’
- ‘He also introduced the cine film in the form of a simple box camera, the Kodak Brownie.’
- ‘By 1888 he introduced the small box camera with a 100 exposure roll film inside.’
- ‘The boxes in the show range from storage chests and trunks to an early twentieth-century ice box and a Brownie box camera, which brought photography to the American middle class.’
- ‘At the Hammer, a small welded-steel-and-plastic sculpture resembling a toy cannon shared a pedestal with a slightly larger, canvas-and-wire sculpture with rectangular chambers that resembled a menacing, traplike box camera.’
- ‘Delsaute interprets this passage as meaning that the simple box camera on its own cannot be so used.’
- ‘Presented chronologically, the works begin with Talbot's earliest negative images of the 1830s, which he made with his ‘mousetrap’ cameras - tiny box cameras loaded with scraps of sensitized paper for film.’
- ‘‘I helped around the studio and, over the years, graduated from a box camera to using a 35 mm SLR, and learnt to use various types of lenses and other photographic equipment,’ he says.’
- ‘Moments of preparation, the ambience inside the brightly-lit room, umbrellas to bounce back the flash light onto the subject and then, there is the photographer with his box camera.’
- ‘Self taught, Patricia started with a box camera, she graduated to the single reflex camera and now to digital.’
- ‘We passed a sidewalk photographer using a big black box camera on a tripod, his head covered with a black curtain.’
- ‘When he and his crew gather behind the box camera, arrayed in lab coats and goggles, they turn the crank with the certainty that whatever is inside their camera's frame will live forever.’
- ‘In this way, the eye operates more like a bellows camera, with variable focus, than a box camera with a fixed focal length.’
- ‘1888 George Eastman patented his Kodak box camera with a name he felt would be easy to remember.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.