One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The distance to which a bow can send an arrow.‘the two armies camped almost within bowshot of each other’
- ‘Our goal was so close; the city walls were a little bit more than a bowshot away.’
- ‘The dangerous stretch of forest was already well within bowshot or he would have opted for stopping where they were to reorder their own ranks and let the enemy - assuming there was an enemy - come to them.’
- ‘In both cases you have not even come within bowshot of the Iliad, and if you are being led to think that you have, somebody is lying to you.’
- ‘Thinning their centre to cover the longer Persian line, but leaving their wings strong, the Greeks advanced, probably breaking into a jogtrot when they came within bowshot.’
- ‘Then she went and sat down opposite him, about a bowshot away, for she said, "Do not let me see the boy die."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.