One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of closely mown grass on which the game of bowls is played.
- ‘A former bowling green is at the centre of a row between residents and developers over plans to put homes on it.’
- ‘There was a small park at the end of the street with a bowling green, putting greens, tennis courts, a large grassed area the size of a football field, some swings and roundabouts for the youngsters.’
- ‘They're hoping to replace them with either a new National Athletics Centre or a small bowling green.’
- ‘It was said that in the 1800s there were ‘great gambling matches on bowling greens, men losing many weeks' earnings on single games.’’
- ‘One by one, lidos closed and became garden centres, bowling greens, fish farms, car parks, supermarkets, housing estates or just rectangles of grass.’
- ‘I understand that the Council is soon to be in receipt of money paid as compensation for one of the bowling greens being unusable, and I shall be pressing for it to be used to improve the existing bowling green and surrounding area.’
- ‘The piece of green grass near the bowling greens on Clarence Gardens is part of Bootham stray and has been enclosed for a long time.’
- ‘In its heyday in 1935, Alexandra Park had a lido, tennis courts, putting green and bowling greens.’
- ‘Team two is from the only other lawn bowling green in Thailand, situated in The Royal Bangkok Sports club.’
- ‘The ten-year-old building is expected to be demolished, with the loss of the sports centre and the bowling green.’
- ‘A game of bowls is under way on the bowling green and the children's play area is busy with playing friends.’
- ‘The use of a bowling green for playing croquet does not preclude that green from being used for bowls.’
- ‘It dealt in more genteel sports, too, with tennis courts, bowling greens and a putting green.’
- ‘The new building overlooks a nine-hole golf course, complete with grass greens and the two bowling greens.’
- ‘It means grass, parks, cricket pitches and bowling greens will all be threatened by summer water shortages.’
- ‘The plans were then amended to exclude the original proposals for a synthetic hockey pitch and floodlighting and add a new bowling green and retention of existing grassed areas.’
- ‘It is the only park in the area where the bowling greens have not been fenced in.’
- ‘The door was removed and walled up and from that point on the bowling green became a football area, plus a mountain bike play area.’
- ‘Improvements would also be made to tennis courts, paths, picnic areas and bowling greens.’
- ‘Nearby bowling greens and the all-weather sports area would be revamped.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.