One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of closely mown grass on which the game of bowls is played.
- ‘It means grass, parks, cricket pitches and bowling greens will all be threatened by summer water shortages.’
- ‘It was said that in the 1800s there were ‘great gambling matches on bowling greens, men losing many weeks' earnings on single games.’’
- ‘The plans were then amended to exclude the original proposals for a synthetic hockey pitch and floodlighting and add a new bowling green and retention of existing grassed areas.’
- ‘A game of bowls is under way on the bowling green and the children's play area is busy with playing friends.’
- ‘Improvements would also be made to tennis courts, paths, picnic areas and bowling greens.’
- ‘One by one, lidos closed and became garden centres, bowling greens, fish farms, car parks, supermarkets, housing estates or just rectangles of grass.’
- ‘The ten-year-old building is expected to be demolished, with the loss of the sports centre and the bowling green.’
- ‘The door was removed and walled up and from that point on the bowling green became a football area, plus a mountain bike play area.’
- ‘It is the only park in the area where the bowling greens have not been fenced in.’
- ‘In its heyday in 1935, Alexandra Park had a lido, tennis courts, putting green and bowling greens.’
- ‘It dealt in more genteel sports, too, with tennis courts, bowling greens and a putting green.’
- ‘There was a small park at the end of the street with a bowling green, putting greens, tennis courts, a large grassed area the size of a football field, some swings and roundabouts for the youngsters.’
- ‘Nearby bowling greens and the all-weather sports area would be revamped.’
- ‘A former bowling green is at the centre of a row between residents and developers over plans to put homes on it.’
- ‘I understand that the Council is soon to be in receipt of money paid as compensation for one of the bowling greens being unusable, and I shall be pressing for it to be used to improve the existing bowling green and surrounding area.’
- ‘The new building overlooks a nine-hole golf course, complete with grass greens and the two bowling greens.’
- ‘They're hoping to replace them with either a new National Athletics Centre or a small bowling green.’
- ‘Team two is from the only other lawn bowling green in Thailand, situated in The Royal Bangkok Sports club.’
- ‘The piece of green grass near the bowling greens on Clarence Gardens is part of Bootham stray and has been enclosed for a long time.’
- ‘The use of a bowling green for playing croquet does not preclude that green from being used for bowls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.