One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The number of runs conceded by a bowler per wicket taken.
- ‘For the rest of the bowlers, the difference in their bowling averages is at least five runs per wicket, while their strike rates dip alarmingly too.’
- ‘Their dominance can also be gleaned by the difference between their batting and bowling averages during this period - it's nearly 15, even higher than the figure for Australia.’
- ‘The difference between a team's overall batting average (runs scored per wicket) and bowling average (runs conceded per wicket) is often a fair indication of its relative strength.’
- ‘If he simply can't walk, the call goes out to the county circuit for the bloke with the combined highest places in the batting and bowling averages.’
- ‘The veteran spinner topped the bowling averages with 47 wickets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.