Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The number of runs conceded by a bowler per wicket taken.
- ‘Their dominance can also be gleaned by the difference between their batting and bowling averages during this period - it's nearly 15, even higher than the figure for Australia.’
- ‘If he simply can't walk, the call goes out to the county circuit for the bloke with the combined highest places in the batting and bowling averages.’
- ‘The veteran spinner topped the bowling averages with 47 wickets.’
- ‘For the rest of the bowlers, the difference in their bowling averages is at least five runs per wicket, while their strike rates dip alarmingly too.’
- ‘The difference between a team's overall batting average (runs scored per wicket) and bowling average (runs conceded per wicket) is often a fair indication of its relative strength.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.