One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A double-looped ornamental knot in a ribbon, tie, or other fastening.
- ‘Motifs used for borders included swags, urns, and bowknots, which can also be found as embellishments on furniture, silver, and other objects made during the period.’
- ‘Included are lanyard knots for decorative braidwork, bowknots that make loops, Turk's head knots for making decorative handgrips, button knots, sinnets, flat knots, and many, many more.’
- ‘Recently a great museum hung a ridiculous combination consisting of a dashing, vivid polo picture in a very elaborate gilt frame covered with feminine motifs like bowknots and garlands.’
- ‘The double and triple bowknots, the wreath, and the crowns may be used with both the single and double ribbons.’
- ‘Cute details such as strips at the waist, butterfly bowknots on the chest, and twisted strips on the back make the dresses even more charming.’
- ‘Likewise, the two bowknots replace the fibulae that would have held together an ancient peplos.’
- ‘The leaf-carved and reeded posts were topped with a mahogany box tester featuring painted stylized bowknots.’
- ‘Corn dollies are made today in a great variety of shapes that have evolved from long local usages - horseshoes in Suffolk, bells in Cambridgeshire, lanterns in Norfolk, bowknots in Staffordshire, fans in Wales.’
- ‘These cookies are sometimes shaped in bowknots or other fancy shapes, but for Christmas they are made in a shape suggestive of the swaddling clothes - or actually the diapers!’
- ‘It could have been that thinking about twisting us into bowknots was his idea of high humor.’
- ‘This parlor had hardwood floors inlaid with cherry, a frescoed ceiling with flowers, bowknots, etc., and two large white marble mantel-pieces with yellow onyx columns, and large mirrors with carved walnut frames reaching to the ceiling.’
- ‘Store coupons, and special offer discounts are not applicable for the bowknot sweater or kit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.