One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A curved bay window.
- ‘A fine bow window, hung with gold-embroidered muslin, and also shaded with heavy plush curtains, commands the ever-varying gay panorama of Fifth Avenue.’
- ‘The drawing room has a large bow window to take advantage of sea views out over Scotsman's Bay, Dublin Bay, a Martello tower and Howth in the distance’
- ‘The 104 square metres of accommodation includes an entrance hall and a reception room with a bow window, ceiling coving and an attractive fireplace with tiled inset.’
- ‘The graceful curve of a Bow window is a lovely way to open any room and capture a view.’
- ‘Double doors open into another oak panelled area, the morning room, while behind it is a good-sized dining room with bow window overlooking the rear garden.’
- ‘A deep walk-in bow window gives the impression of a bright and airy conservatory.’
- ‘The room is well lit by two picture windows and a bow window, and also includes a stone fireplace with matching hearth and wooden mantle.’
- ‘This room leads directly to the library, which has a large bow window facing south.’
- ‘Its bow windows and stained glass reminded Bill of ‘a seaside pavilion’.’
- ‘A bow window provides panoramic views over the lake.’
- ‘Today, with restoration, bow windows have been replaced, with French windows, opening on to a terrace.’
- ‘The lounge has a marble fireplace with a fitted gas flame fire and a large five-frame bow window.’
- ‘Through an open archway to one side is an equally stylish dining room, with its own bow window.’
- ‘From the bow windows, you can see the market square of Allendale, a pretty Northumberland village about 45 minutes’ drive west of Newcastle.’
- ‘Off the entrance hall is a cloakroom, and TV / sitting-room with a bow window to the front.’
- ‘Off this, there is an elegant reception room with a floor-to-ceiling bow window and a cast-iron and marble fireplace which has cast-iron doors to draw across the open hearth.’
- ‘Specialty products, like greenhouse windows and bow windows, can dramatically change the look and function of a room.’
- ‘Nelson looked at the charts that lay before him on the table and then peered up at the Observation Nose where he saw Norman Thompson sitting in front of the bow windows.’
- ‘The plans for All Saints Lutheran Church, Phoenix, include a large bow window on one side of the worship space affording a dramatic view of mountains in the distance.’
- ‘It is upstairs, with a large bow window, and ‘looks down the avenue of limes' - due west.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.