One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A saw with a narrow blade stretched like a bowstring on a light frame.
- ‘Likewise, hacksaws and woodsaws from the workshop are not suitable substitutes for a bowsaw or folding saw with a narrow blade.’
- ‘Users of bowsaws, hatchets, chainsaws or other unsuitable tools will not achieve these figures.’
- ‘Wear long pants, bring gloves and extra bowsaws, loppers and pruners if possible.’
- ‘Small hand bowsaws or pruning saws may be suitable for small operations.’
- ‘Many of the smaller shrubs can be removed by hand with bowsaws or loppers.’
- ‘A previous article dealt with the use of bowsaws, which are generally the tool of choice for the felling operation for anything greater than an inch in diameter.’
- ‘This bent pipe has a shape similar to that of a bowsaw.’
- ‘Even the youngest children can gather branches, and kids by ten should be able to use a bowsaw.’
- ‘Small bowsaws often use a loop of rawhide, twisted by a hardwood tab, to apply tension to the blade.’
- ‘Green Team volunteers generally use bowsaws or billhooks to cut out growing shoots in a selected area known as a cant.’
- ‘We unpacked the bowsaws, loppers and gloves and set to work, trying to hide our glee at the prospect of imminent displays of pyromania.’
- ‘I also have bowsaws in both the 6’ and 12’ lengths for use as coping and turning saws respectively.’
- ‘All the woodwork on the bowsaw is straight forward, and as he says, scale up or down to suit your needs.’
- ‘Basic maintenance tools are hand clippers, loppers (long-handled branch cutters), and small bowsaws.’
- ‘A lot of people make the mistake in thinking that he used a 5 or so point rip bowsaw blade to cut joinery.’
- ‘Tools needed for the day include loppers, bowsaws, and mattocks.’
- ‘Remove specified trees with bowsaws, trimming off brash and stacking 2m length timbers.’
- ‘Tools of use are loppers, bowsaws, weed wrenches and pick mattocks.’
- ‘Older catalogues actually list handles (in pairs) in addition to complete saws, so building your own bowsaw is nothing new.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.