One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compass with jointed legs.
- ‘It includes a small ringhead bow compass, plus a large 4 inch divider and 4 inch compass, a drawing pen and handle, spare parts, and a lengthening bar.’
- ‘The Linex Compass Set contains a pencil compass with knee joint, a bow compass, a pen insert with handle and extra leads.’
- ‘FIG. 2 is a front elevational view of the bow compass shown in FIG.1, the rear elevational view being the same as the front elevational view.’
- ‘The background is the ‘Sun & Moon’ and ‘Constellation Map " that can be drawn by using bow compass and rectangle ruler. ¡ ¡’
- ‘Set includes: - Quick acting bow compass, Small bow compass, Extension bar, Dividers, Pen attachment, 2 pen inserts with handles and a spares kit.’
- ‘Good bow compasses are available at the bookstore for about $6.00.’
- ‘As of 1968, sets included small and large bow compasses, perhaps a beam compass (for larger circles), a pair of dividers, and a ruling pen (now obsolete), or, later, a technical pen adapter.’
- ‘Drop bow compasses were also referred to as rotating compasses or sometimes, incorrectly, as pump compasses.’
- ‘Some French coopers used this kind of bow compass rather than the common hinged compass.’
- ‘The types of compasses that are available can be classified as standard compass, compass leads, the beam compasses, and also the highly popular bow compasses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.