One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compass with jointed legs.
- ‘The types of compasses that are available can be classified as standard compass, compass leads, the beam compasses, and also the highly popular bow compasses.’
- ‘Drop bow compasses were also referred to as rotating compasses or sometimes, incorrectly, as pump compasses.’
- ‘FIG. 2 is a front elevational view of the bow compass shown in FIG.1, the rear elevational view being the same as the front elevational view.’
- ‘Good bow compasses are available at the bookstore for about $6.00.’
- ‘Set includes: - Quick acting bow compass, Small bow compass, Extension bar, Dividers, Pen attachment, 2 pen inserts with handles and a spares kit.’
- ‘It includes a small ringhead bow compass, plus a large 4 inch divider and 4 inch compass, a drawing pen and handle, spare parts, and a lengthening bar.’
- ‘The background is the ‘Sun & Moon’ and ‘Constellation Map " that can be drawn by using bow compass and rectangle ruler. ¡ ¡’
- ‘As of 1968, sets included small and large bow compasses, perhaps a beam compass (for larger circles), a pair of dividers, and a ruling pen (now obsolete), or, later, a technical pen adapter.’
- ‘Some French coopers used this kind of bow compass rather than the common hinged compass.’
- ‘The Linex Compass Set contains a pencil compass with knee joint, a bow compass, a pen insert with handle and extra leads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.