Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Heavy laced boots extending to the mid-calf, typically worn by skinheads.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Is it time to cast off the bovver boots and pull on some sensible walking shoes?’
- ‘The fairies, with their grubby faces and bovver boots, look and behave in part like naughty children who have raided the dressing-up box and in part like escapees from the local lunatic asylum.’
- ‘The one-time wild child may still strut his stuff in bovver boots but his sensitive playing never loses its grip.’
- ‘We knew he was a nerd before he acquired his skinhead haircut, and nobody will be fooled by his new bovver boots any more than they were by his baseball cap.’
- ‘But it has evolved from the skinhead and bovver boots image of the Seventies.’
- ‘But it was the visual image of the tribes that scandalised the public: the bovver boots and crops of the skins; the safety pins and loo-brush hairdos of the punks.’
- ‘Drunken louts should be quaking in their bovver boots next month when a special booze patrol is launched in Wimbledon to crack down on their alcohol-fuelled bad behaviour.’
- ‘He was less impressed by the performance itself in which two actors, wearing all black and bovver boots took on the 21 different roles.’
- ‘At this point, I can picture my incensed critics lacing up their bovver boots for a spot of Grievous Literary Harm.’
- ‘The pregnant actress sported a particularly frumpy skirt, striped Nora Batty-style long socks and wedge-heeled bovver boots on a trip out in London.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.