Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun], [usually as modifier] Hooliganism or violent disorder, especially as caused by gangs of skinheads.‘a bovver boy’
- ‘Thanks to a mindless nucleus of bovver boys, they are loathed the length and breadth of Europe, and often beyond.’
- ‘As an aside, I should say that New Yorkers - at least, the New Yorkers who were there last night - don't really do the bovver boy act very convincingly, which added to the pantomime quality of the whole event.’
- ‘This rough assumption brings other troubling implications in its wake, like cultural bovver boys.’
- ‘All of which leaves Howard's political bovver boy looking sadly out of the main game in 2002.’
- ‘That is the dream the Prime Minister has, and she sent her little Brownshirt bovver boy off to the media to pretend that the dream is happening.’
- ‘More recently coined words not normally used in formal prose are under no such inhibition: bovver, navvy, revving, skivvy are all written with double v.’
- ‘McKidd, who plays the leader of the bovver boys, admits he's probably in for a kicking.’
- ‘He could not handle the fact that bovver boy threats and intimidation failed to shut us up.’
- ‘'Bovver boots' are footwear designed to intimidate and injure, or give the impression of doing so, or even make an ironic comment on this.’
- ‘He was no bovver boy and could have passed for a city gent: clean cut, camel coat, a product of his times.’
- ‘As politicians of all denominations condemned the attacks, it was left to Howard's out-going bovver boy to go for the cheap political points.’
1960s: representing a cockney pronunciation of bother.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.