Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A growth hormone occurring naturally in cows that is added to cattle feed to increase milk production.
- ‘Then the bovine somatotrophin is injected into cows to increase milk production.’
- ‘By now, the majority of you have probably heard about the significant increase in milk production caused by the administration of bovine somatotropin (GH).’
- ‘The production or importation of bovine somatotrophin in the Member States for the purposes of exporting it to third countries continues to be authorised.’
- ‘Consumers find bovine somatotrophin hard to swallow.’
- ‘The animals were divided into two groups: control and experimental. 30 experimental cows immediately following partus were subcutaneously treated with 640 mg of recombinant bovine somatotrophin.’
- ‘South Africa is one of a very few nations that permits the use of a genetically engineered hormone known as recombinant bovine growth hormone, commonly called rBST or recombinant bovine somatotrophin in South Africa.’
- ‘Milk from cows given supplemental bovine somatotropin is the same as any other milk.’
- ‘Treatment with recombinant bovine somatotrophin (bST) can enhance the development of ovarian antral follicles in cattle.’
- ‘The prohibition provided for in Article 1 shall not affect the production of bovine somatotrophin in the Member States, or imports, for the purposes of its export to third countries.’
- ‘Bovine somatotrophin was administered for 3 days.’
- ‘Two weeks ago the FDA said that cows could produce even more milk by being given recombinant bovine somatotrophin, a growth hormone.’
- ‘This case raises issues pertinent to evaluating the risk from BST, bovine somatotrophin, the technology now actively being debated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.