One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spray of flowers worn in a buttonhole.
bouquet, spray, posy, nosegay, corsageView synonyms
- ‘Here's a step-by-step guide on do-it-yourself boutonnières.’
- ‘Each boutonnière is hand prepared with delicate greens and with floral tape.’
- ‘We've pulled together our favorite boutonnières, and we've got styles for every groom.’
- ‘And the guy of your dreams will look as handsome as you imagined with a classic rose boutonnière pinned to his lapel.’
- ‘This is the most recognized and used boutonnière in weddings today.’
- ‘Use a dressmaker's pin to attach the boutonnière to the jacket.’
- ‘This simple boutonnière has 15 Swarovski Crystals.’
- ‘The boutonnières, corsages and bouquet were all yellow roses, just blooming, to match the bridesmaids gowns.’
- ‘Wedding boutonnières add the final flourish to a gentlemen's outfit.’
- ‘The blushing Bride has her beautiful bouquet and the proud groom has his bold boutonnière.’
- ‘I reached for his boutonnière that I had set for convenient access on a nearby chair.’
- ‘Many of these boutonnières were samples in our store.’
- ‘He tenderly slipped a corsage onto my wrist, and I made my mother pin his boutonnière.’
- ‘You may get the best deals if you buy the corsage and boutonnière at the same flower shop.’
- ‘The boutonnière features one splendid white rose decorated with baby's breath.’
- ‘A Boutonnière can be as simple as a flower passed through a buttonhole.’
- ‘The groom's boutonnière should be different from the rest.’
- ‘A boutonnière brings a sense of class and style to your suit lapel.’
- ‘We offer elegant silk bridal bouquets, romantic silk wedding flower packages, classic nosegays, corsages, boutonnières, and traditional wedding accessories.’
- ‘Welcome to our prom corsage and boutonnière gallery!’
Late 19th century: French, ‘buttonhole’, from bouton ‘button’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.