One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounAustralian Rules Football
An umpire on the boundary line who signals when the ball is out and throws it back in to restart play.
- ‘There are also two boundary umpires, two goal umpires, and, in effect, a ‘video umpire’.’
- ‘Also I loved the boundary umpire's haircut - it was perfectly square.’
- ‘There was even a question about the boundary umpire he clocked in 1980.’
- ‘In his later years, when he was the boundary umpire, he carried a flask of whiskey in his sock to help him see off the cold.’
- ‘I firmly believe that I was sacked from my job as a boundary umpire for being TOO fair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.