One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child's word for a person's bottom.
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘Mrs Duck was horrified - not at the botty accident, but at the fact that a perfectly serviceable pair of trollies were flushed away in such a cavalier manner.’
- ‘Oh, I almost forgot, wipe your little botty as well.’
- ‘I want that sweet little face of yours as smooth as your botty used to be!’
- ‘We thought the alternative posture would leave a cleaner botty to have to deal with.’
- ‘Interesting too would be the expressions on the faces of MPs, like little boys with smacked botties.’
- ‘Among the worst hazards of transatlantic rowing are botty boils and the hides will really help.’
- ‘No more having to wipe the botties of pesky hacks.’
- ‘Quiet down or go play elsewhere, or mommy will spank your botty nice and red.’
Mid 19th century: alteration of bottom.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.