One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for underdog
- ‘Rarely in the Premierleague's predictable history can there have been a time, this far into the season, when the leaders are so rampant and the bottom dogs so utterly devoid of hope.’
- ‘The last thing bottom dogs Scarborough needed after having been docked three points by the Conference last week for fielding an ineligible player was to lose another three points in a 2-1 defeat at home to Northwich Victoria.’
- ‘Albion Rovers’ progress in his first season, the last one, was remarkable, managing to put two clear places between themselves and the new bottom dogs, Elgin City.’
- ‘While West Ham were still without their first home win in the league since November, they had relinquished their position as the Premiership's bottom dogs.’
- ‘The all-for-one and one-for-all mentality may be high on the players' wishlist but unless they can initiate a turnaround in fortunes, starting this afternoon against Premier League bottom dogs Dundee United, it seems a forlorn hope.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.