One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for underdog
- ‘The all-for-one and one-for-all mentality may be high on the players' wishlist but unless they can initiate a turnaround in fortunes, starting this afternoon against Premier League bottom dogs Dundee United, it seems a forlorn hope.’
- ‘Rarely in the Premierleague's predictable history can there have been a time, this far into the season, when the leaders are so rampant and the bottom dogs so utterly devoid of hope.’
- ‘Albion Rovers’ progress in his first season, the last one, was remarkable, managing to put two clear places between themselves and the new bottom dogs, Elgin City.’
- ‘The last thing bottom dogs Scarborough needed after having been docked three points by the Conference last week for fielding an ineligible player was to lose another three points in a 2-1 defeat at home to Northwich Victoria.’
- ‘While West Ham were still without their first home win in the league since November, they had relinquished their position as the Premiership's bottom dogs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.