One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time spent by a wine maturing in its bottle.
- ‘My palate is yearning for some complex, complicated wines with some bottle age.’
- ‘The other vintages displayed intensity, a particular sandalwood fragrance, especially with bottle age, and a lovely combination of dark-red fruit and ripe herbs, all held in a firm tannic grip that accentuated the wine's dryness.’
- ‘Only after two or more years of bottle age will a fine Meursault or Puligny-Montrachet start to show the quality of the fruit.’
- ‘No, these wines would not blow away the jaded palates of wine judges today, but they were balanced wines that developed nice complexity after a few years of bottle age.’
- ‘It has quite big tannins which should soften with more bottle age.’
- ‘Many more wines are appearing at Crianza level, with minimum oak and bottle age.’
- ‘Maybe these wines will soften and come around with a little bottle age, but at these prices these wines are meant to be bought and drunk immediately.’
- ‘It is a big lush Pinot Gris which will get even better with bottle age.’
- ‘However, for the more complex Pinot Grigio wines listed below, two or three years of bottle age will reward you with a more interesting and multi-layered wine.’
- ‘Good easy-drinking summer style which could benefit from further bottle age 1 to 2 years.’
- ‘A McLaren Vale-sourced blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot that has all the intensity, richness and muscle of Australian red wine at its best, but with a smart sense of balance and the value of bottle age.’
- ‘Maybe a little more bottle age will smooth it out?’
- ‘It has a dry style, but should be one to watch for further bottle age development of flavours like lychee and Turkish delight.’
- ‘After another four months of bottle age, Kurni is ready for sale.’
- ‘While people's perception of Bordeaux is often colored by expensive collectibles, prices cover a wide range, and most Bordeaux is eminently drinkable without additional bottle age.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.