Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of minerals) having a shape reminiscent of a cluster of grapes.
- ‘Recently, attractive though slightly damaged masses of botryoidal azurite and associated minor malachite have reached the collector market from a locality given as Seabra, Bahia, Brazil.’
- ‘It forms spherical clusters of tightly packed radiating crystals and botryoidal crusts.’
- ‘Colorless botryoidal smithsonite specimens have been collected at the Tui mine, New Zealand.’
- ‘They can be separated into three distinct groups of authigenic carbonates, including a first stage with botryoidal aragonite, a second stage of clotted micrite, and a third stage of blocky spar.’
- ‘Malachite is typically massive, forming thick, compact crusts with botryoidal or mammillary surfaces and related stalactitic growths, all typically characterized by somewhat fibrous, color-banded interiors.’
- ‘Another type of sphalerite is the botryoidal variety schalenblende, which occurs sparingly in one zone of the Sawatch Quartzite.’
- ‘Azurite commonly occurs in stalactitic, botryoidal, or earthy masses, many of which display concentric or parallel banding of various shades of blue or alternating with malachite.’
- ‘The first is massive, typically banded, botryoidal to stalactitic malachite from the great copper belt in the Shaba region, Democratic Republic of Congo.’
- ‘This is a late-formed mineral that occurs as thin botryoidal crusts with little visible crystal structure.’
- ‘Typically, crystals were not well-shaped but occurred as botryoidal crusts.’
- ‘Radiating to branching crystal groups and rounded, globular, reniform, and botryoidal masses are common.’
- ‘Some of the finer material crystallizes on botryoidal pectolite in the junction pockets.’
- ‘If carried to completion, the growth results in a spherical form and the botryoidal or reniform habit.’
- ‘The photos show that the material is extremely fine grained and relatively featureless in plain light; in crossed nicols it gives a botryoidal effect similar to that seen in chalcedony.’
- ‘Yellow botryoidal masses of mimetite associated with pyromorphite were once recovered from the Santa Rosa mine, Mazapil, and good specimens of yellow to orange mimetite have been found at La Blanca, Ojo Caliente, Zacatecas.’
- ‘It is typically seen in collections as colorful botryoidal, reniform, or stalactitic masses or in crystalline encrustations.’
- ‘I collected lots of olive-green botryoidal pyromorphite on quartz matrix.’
- ‘Accessory minerals include earthy aggregates of clay minerals and botryoidal or stalactitic manganese oxides.’
- ‘Fibrous, botryoidal, stalactitic, granular, and massive varieties are common.’
- ‘Pale blue botryoidal masses and small rhombohedra somewhat similar to material from the Kelly mine, New Mexico, occurred in the Silver Hill mine, Waterman district, Pima County.’
Late 18th century: from Greek botruoeidēs (from botrus bunch of grapes) + -al.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.