Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An expert in or student of the scientific study of plants.‘a botanist announced he'd bred a new and beautiful variety of orchid’
- ‘In order to absorb the work, viewers must examine each individual cutout like botanists studying the leaves of a tree.’
- ‘The British botanist this week came out in support of the anti-wind camp.’
- ‘Not all collectors of flora began life as gardeners or botanists.’
- ‘He is a botanist and a collector of rare plants.’
- ‘In some areas of the Pacific Northwest, botanists say, the fungus has eliminated white bark pines entirely.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.