One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small smooth-coated terrier of a breed originating in Massachusetts from a crossing of a bulldog and terrier.
- ‘Ansanelli has had many dramatic roles, but this is the first time she has to command a Boston terrier to ‘heel’ and ‘sit’ on stage.’
- ‘Among terriers, only the Yorkshire terrier and the Boston terrier saw more registrations in 1998.’
- ‘We should cherish these glimpses of her as it won't be long before she goes to ground again, squirrelling away in her Manhattan apartment or the Virginia bolt-hole she shares with two pugs and a Boston terrier.’
- ‘And I love to spend time with my sisters' kids and with my Boston terrier, Mickey.’
- ‘The breed remained popular until World War I, when the Boston terrier gained overnight celebrity, supplanting the French bulldog as high society's favorite little dog.’
- ‘Maxi, a Boston terrier, is adorned with pearls and a pink leather collar with her name spelled out in rhinestones.’
- ‘Like Boston cream pie, which isn't really a pie, the Boston terrier isn't precisely a terrier, though the breed's original ingredients did include a number of terriers.’
- ‘We have a Boston terrier we left at a kennel for three weeks.’
- ‘Being a Boston terrier, he thought the whole thing was funny, and made sure to leap on all the beds, trailing pondwater as he zoomed around the house, laughing a wide dog smile.’
- ‘That, too, paled next to his description of a man who feared he had transmitted HIV to his Boston terrier.’
- ‘The dog or dog emblem is the Boston terrier, while the cat or cat emblem is the tabby cat.’
- ‘As a child, when I played the accordion, our Boston terrier would yodel and scream.’
- ‘The living room is very tidy, with rustic pine furniture and a tiny, black-and-white Boston terrier curled up on the rug.’
- ‘Felix began to hiss and scratch at his mistress's back as she held him in her arms in an attempt to get away from the small Boston terrier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.