One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fond of giving people orders; domineering.‘don't be so bossy!’‘a bossy, meddling woman’
domineering, dominating, overbearing, imperious, masterful, autocratic, autarchic, officious, high-handed, high and mighty, authoritarian, dictatorial, strict, harsh, severe, iron-handed, controlling, despotic, tyrannical, draconian, oppressive, subjugating, undemocratic, anti-democraticView synonyms
- ‘This also comes through in parliamentary debate, where her style has been criticised as somewhat bossy—despite her complaint that it is a pity the chamber has not allowed more space for cross-party agreement.’
- ‘It was obvious in the pride Jyller had and her bossy nature at ordering the maids around.’
- ‘Someone should slap me but I think it's minor retribution for her unnecessarily autocratic, bossy tendencies that once again reared up yesterday.’
- ‘Tributes pour in thick and fast from Lapotaire: ‘She was completely in charge of the crew without being bossy.’’
- ‘Speaking last week, after they had moved out and on condition of anonymity, they described him as ‘very bossy and imposing’ but with a ‘technical mind’.’
- ‘His cocky and bossy attitude was not one she liked, but she did go over for Rolandon's sake.’
- ‘‘I like organising and I am fairly bossy,’ says the mum-of-two.’
- ‘I'm bossy, and that's why I want to be a producer.’
- ‘A thin, tall woman with a bossy face was giving orders to other girls as they took plates to the different tables.’
- ‘Self-assertion and a desire for autonomy are important components of genuine citizenship, as is a distrust of bossy authority.’
- ‘A person who knows how to take charge and organise others can also be bossy and dictatorial.’
- ‘I'm not sure if she was officially beachmaster, or just being bossy.’
- ‘How could she be attracted to such a rude, egotistical, high-handed, bossy man like him?’
- ‘Her father left and her mother worked all the time, so Joey decided to become man of the house and take on an authoritarian and bossy role.’
- ‘Albert lives with his domineering, bossy, bullying, unhappy, horrible mother.’
- ‘Produce very bossy chocolate bars that will order the eater to do ten press ups between each bite.’
- ‘The doctor who called me bossy last week said I was doubly bossy today!’
- ‘Sure, she could be a rude, obnoxious, pushy, bossy woman most of the time, but I also had to admit that she had the heart of a lion.’
- ‘They are always bossy and try to control you every second.’
- ‘One ex-housemate, who did not want to be named, described him as a man who was difficult to get along with, very bossy and ‘imposing’.’
A cow or calf.
- ‘Alongside Karoo lamb, infused with those tough little Karoo bossies, the delicacy of the month could be Nahoon pork.’
Mid 19th century of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.