One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A situation whereby a political party is controlled by party managers.
- ‘To say that people ought not run and that people ought to get out of this race is bossism that belongs in the other party.’
- ‘He represents the greatest danger the Republicans face, bossism.’
- ‘Nigeria's PDP doesn't have similar grass roots or internal democratic mechanisms, but at least on this one issue, its factionalism and local bossism have had a similar effect.’
- ‘The monopoly in politics, or bossism, may possibly be abolished by direct legislation or by proportional representation.’
- ‘Lincoln Steffens's magnificent book, The Shame of the Cities, denounced the bossism and corruption of early twentieth-century American cities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.