Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A mass of trees or shrubs.‘the view from the house is obscured by boscage’
forest, woodland, treesView synonyms
- ‘A French concept, the boscage allowed ladies to walk in the heat of the day under the cool shade of the trees.’
- ‘‘There is more fun at Corke Lodge’ writes Jane Powers, The Irish Times, where ‘the "ancient garden" of box parterres is punctuated by melancholy gothic follies, and emerges eerily from the dense boskage of evergreen oaks, myrtles, and a writhing cork oak tree with deeply corrugated bark.’’
- ‘Desert terrain, boscage and fields in Normandy, destroyed urban centers, a naval facility in Norway, and other locations will be presented to the player throughout the course of the game.’
- ‘The House with the Renaissance boscage portal is connected with the birth of the Pilsen's beer fame.’
- ‘The Men issue out of one side of the boscage, and the Women from the other.’
- ‘Mike Downey and with contract forester Joseph Zorzin of Peru, Rausch and the Gould Farm staff and guests have achieved what the foresters consider an ideal boscage.’
- ‘This struggle would pit the Americans against the Germans from the beaches and boscage of Normandy to the Ardennes and beyond.’
- ‘Charles and Sebastian form a strong attachment and probably - although the relationship is kept behind its own screen of boskage in both the book and the series - become lovers.’
- ‘The roses were in bloom, two nightingales soliloquized in the boskage, a cuckoo was just going out of tune among the lime trees.’
Late Middle English: from Old French; ultimately of Germanic origin and related to bush. Compare with bocage.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.