One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infectious neurological disease affecting horses and other mammal and bird species, caused by an RNA virus (Borna disease virus).
- ‘Human Borna disease virus infection has been reported to be a threat to mental health.’
- ‘The clinical symptoms of Borna disease result from the immune response of the host.’
- ‘Abildgaard's work led to the condition being termed Borna disease, because of its endemic occurrence in horses around Borna near Leipzig, Germany.’
- ‘The most recent agent of interest is Borna disease virus.’
- ‘The relationship between Borna disease virus (BDV) infection and positive and negative syndromes in schizophrenia was investigated.’
- ‘We reviewed recent advances in Borna disease virus research, focusing on evidence of infection in humans.’
- ‘Near-east equine encephalomyelitis is similar, and probably identical, to Borna disease.’
- ‘A questionnaire-based, retrospective case-control study of 174 Swedish cats was used to identify possible risk factors for feline Borna disease.’
- ‘Until now, Borna Disease in equines and ruminants are restricted to Central Europe, i.e. specific areas in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the Principality of Liechtenstein.’
- ‘In studies conducted on animals, immunocompromised and immunosuppressed rats did not become ill with borna disease despite viral replication.’
- ‘In 1996, scientists at Scripps Research Institute in California found the first evidence that the Borna disease virus can infect human brain tissue.’
- ‘Genome trimming is a unique strategy for replication control employed by Borna disease virus.’
- ‘Borna disease virus, a newly classified nonsegmented negative-strand RNA virus with international distribution, infects a broad range of warm-blooded animals from birds to primates.’
- ‘Infection by Borna disease virus (BDV) enables the study of the molecular mechanisms whereby a virus can persist in the central nervous system and lead to altered brain function in the absence of overt cytolysis and inflammation.’
- ‘Tcell ignorance in mice to Borna disease virus can be overcome by peripheral expression of the viral nucleoprotein.’
1920s: from Borna, the name of a town and district near Leipzig in Germany where an outbreak occurred.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.