Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of kidney bean with a pink speckled skin that turns brown when cooked.
- ‘These relatively elaborate items are accompanied to the table by a whole platoon of simple insalate and antipasti, like beets flavored with orange and mint, and shreds of grilled calamari mixed with soft, white borlotti beans.’
- ‘Borlotti beans are often sold tinned and should be rinsed or well soaked in a bowl of water for 10 minutes before used to remove the liquid in which they are stored.’
- ‘First of all, soak the borlotti beans.’
- ‘Ginny instead writes, "Borlotti beans and pinto beans are not the same."’
- ‘The main ingredient was 2 cans of borlotti beans.’
- ‘Then I got charged for three cans of borlotti beans and not two as I'd bought.’
- ‘A plate of Italian meats, with little taster pots of borlotti beans, was much better, but then you would have to try pretty hard to screw up a plate of cold meats when you've got the deli at Valvona & Crolla just up the road.’
- ‘If you see specks before your eyes, you may not need new glasses - it could be a display of beautiful fresh borlotti beans’
- ‘Crimson-spotted borlottis (sometimes called cranberry beans) are incredibly nutty, flavorful beans.’
- ‘In a large salad bowl combine the borlotti beans, bocconcini cheese, rocket and basil.’
- ‘I've recently fallen in love with borlotti beans.’
- ‘Shell the borlotti beans and drop into a pan of unsalted boiling water.’
- ‘I chose the roasted lamb rump with boudin noir, borlotti beans and caramelised shallots, while Gus went for the pan-fried monkfish with Parma ham, spring onions and prawns.’
- ‘Divide the borlotti beans and tomatoes between four plates and place the salami over.’
- ‘Stir in the borlotti beans and parsley stalks, then add the tomatoes, garlic and stock and bring to the boil.’
- ‘They are usually a mixture of cannellini, flageolet and borlotti beans.’
- ‘I am still dreaming of my fresh borlotti bean and pecorino soup with mascarpone ravioli, and am happily clutching the recipe Boone kindly shared with me.’
- ‘Substitute lentils, kidney beans or borlotti beans for some meat and let them cook down to form a rich broth.’
- ‘His grilled swordfish with borlotti beans, crisped spinach and pomodorini—to cite just one creation—is simply perfect.’
- ‘The first borlotti beans appear sporadically in markets towards the end of summer but as the cooler days of autumn come, these wonderful beans are at their peak.’
Italian borlotti, plural of borlotto kidney bean.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.