One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt in which the anion contains both boron and oxygen, as in borax.
- ‘I anxiously await the final volume, which will cover principally borates, carbonates, and sulfates.’
- ‘A wide variety of electrolytes are used to produce the desired surface properties: chromic acid, sulfuric acid, and oxalic acid are the most common but borates, citrates and oxoacids are also sometimes used.’
- ‘The most important boron compound commercially is sodium borate, used in the manufacture of borosilicate glass, glass fiber insulation, and textile glass fiber.’
- ‘Democratic attempts in 1888 and 1893 to place crude and refined borates and boric acid on the free list failed.’
- ‘Likewise, the Calico borates, and those mined subsequently at other sites, ‘opened up a new and permanent supply [in the form of colemanite) and in quantity sufficient for whatever demand might be made upon it.’’
- ‘In the laboratory borate is used to prevent bacterial growth in protein preparations.’
- ‘He has replaced toxic chemicals with inorganic borates which have the same toxicity as table salt.’
- ‘In cases where the wood will not be exposed to the soil or water, borates, a form of naturally occurring salt, will help prevent decay from fungi and wood-boring insects such as carpenter ants and termites.’
- ‘Certain salts, such as the dichromates, borates, and silicates, act as inhibitors to the aqueous corrosion of zinc.’
- ‘Perhaps boric acid or sodium borate can be added to the paper layer or slurry of gypsum during the making of wallboard.’
- ‘Aluminum borate is used in the production of glass and ceramics.’
- ‘If you're still uncomfortable using it you can use one of its salts, sodium borate, also known as borax (the stuff people used to wash clothes in) for the same effect.’
- ‘The borates on the claims in Mule Canyon originated through sedimentation on an ancient lake bed.’
- ‘When Calico's borates were exhausted, Smith's foresight and resources enabled him to shift operations to Death Valley.’
- ‘The borate ingredient in the fire-protection solution makes the wood a less than ideal food source, so it is resistant to termite and fungal damage as well.’
- ‘The carbodiimide was washed with a phosphate buffer and the beads were resuspended in a borate buffer.’
- ‘The addition of phosphor copper or the use of a phosphate or borate slag flux cover and thorough stirring improves the rate of lead removal.’
- ‘On the other hand, there are many oxysalts, including uncommon borates, nitrates, iodates, selenites, and selenates.’
- ‘In addition to nitrates, the evaporate deposits include borates (in particular ulexite) and potash.’
- ‘However, the borate chemical often slowly leaches out of most materials when exposed to ground water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.