Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An excursion to Europe by ferry, the aim of which is to bring back cheap or tax-free alcohol.
- ‘That is not including the wine they drink while on holiday or bring back from booze cruises.’
- ‘Two ambulance service managers used a health trust car to go on a "booze cruise" to France, a disciplinary panel heard.’
- ‘A trip to Northern Ireland has become the Irish retail equivalent of England's much-loved booze cruise to France.’
- ‘Our church group could be described as either having embarked on a cultural trip to Boulogne or booze cruise to Cite Europe.’
- ‘Even if you're popping over to France on a one-day booze cruise, look into getting some extra cover, because an accident or breakdown abroad usually costs a mint.’
- ‘Many used time outside the jail to go on 'booze cruises', the fruits of which were smuggled back into the prison.’
- ‘They have been coming on their annual booze cruise to Calais for 14 years, loading up with up to 500 bottles.’
- ‘I told her I was planning a booze cruise to Calais to stock up on hundreds of bottles of wine.’
- ‘You can snigger, but that extra litre could make all the difference on a booze cruise to France.’
- ‘Well, I won't elaborate, but my wife was not best pleased when I staggered back to England after the booze cruise and resumed my place in the kitchen.’
- ‘Profits at have more than halved as recession-hit firms cut back on champagne and a weak Pound hits booze cruises to its French stores.’
- ‘Other proposals are believed to include limiting "booze cruises" to France and restricting licensing hours, legislation which the Government only recently relaxed.’
- ‘But they must now continue to go on cross-Channel booze cruises.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.