One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A program that loads an operating system when a computer is turned on.‘Linux's GRUB bootloader can be used to select which operating system you'd like to boot into’
- ‘The company started releasing a manufacturer-approved method for unlocking the bootloader a while back.’
- ‘When the end of the upgrade process tried to call the bootloader, it failed because what it was looking for wasn't there.’
- ‘The PC has no hard, floppy or CD-ROM drive, so some other device must provide the bootloader and bootable image.’
- ‘You can append arguments to the command line from the bootloader.’
- ‘Once the lock on the bootloader is breached, the media lockout won't be technologically defensible.’
1970s: from boot (sense 4 of the noun) + loader.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.