Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A program that loads an operating system when a computer is turned on.‘Linux's GRUB bootloader can be used to select which operating system you'd like to boot into’
- ‘The company started releasing a manufacturer-approved method for unlocking the bootloader a while back.’
- ‘You can append arguments to the command line from the bootloader.’
- ‘The PC has no hard, floppy or CD-ROM drive, so some other device must provide the bootloader and bootable image.’
- ‘Once the lock on the bootloader is breached, the media lockout won't be technologically defensible.’
- ‘When the end of the upgrade process tried to call the bootloader, it failed because what it was looking for wasn't there.’
1970s: from boot + loader.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.